(#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount53 Offline
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: Special Chocolate Desserts - December 12th 2020, 01:10 PM

Julie's Chocolate Espresso Cake

Chocolate (she says) in our house is very important because it's a mood lifter (which she's still feeling guilty for raiding that box of Leonardis!) because it helps everyone's' moods, so a cake will bring us together with some nice chilled milk from the fridge. Except this cake is different. Soon out of the oven, its centre sinks a little and a crisp shell forms across the top. I only use the best ingredients that I can afford because if you use the best, then the food will taste miles better

It's not difficult to make. My only advice is to measure out and prepare all the ingredients according the ingredients before you start cooking. Makes life easier that way.

Serves 8

180g fine dark chocolate, chopped
a small espresso (about three tablespoons of very strong coffee)
140g unsalted butter, diced
5 free range eggs, separated
200g golden caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cocoa powder
90g plain flour

Preheat the oven to 180. Line the base of 21-23cm shallow spring-form cake tin with silicone baking parchment, buttering the tin lightly to hold it in place.

Melt the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. As soon as it starts to soften, add the coffee and leave it for two or three minutes. Stir very gently, then when the chocolate has melted add the butter. Stir until it has melted.

Meanwhile beat the egg whites with an electric mixer till stiff, then fold in the sugar. Mix the baking powder with the cocoa powder and flour. Remove the chocolate from the heat, quickly stir in the egg yolks, then slowly, firmly and gently fold the melted chocolate into the egg whites. Lastly sift in the flour and cocoa mixture.

Stir the mixture tenderly with a large metal spoon, taking care not to knock out any air. It should feel light and wobbly. Do not over mix - just enough to fold in the flour. Scoop into the lined tin and bake in an oven preheated 180 for thirty-five minutes. Leave to cool in its tin then turn out.