(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount53 Offline
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: My twin Sis Julie has agoraphobia - December 23rd 2020, 09:52 PM

Update.

With thanks to that book Mind Over Mood and Ged Jenkins-Omar's book Help With Anxiety, I've been working to get Julie to venture out into the garden to sit with me in the sun which I said is highly beneficial to the both of us, and been holding her hands to give her than sense of security. That I would never desert her.

Most anxiety stems from a subconscious fear to a given situation, such an open space and my sister's reaction to overthinking she would be out of control by going outside with me. To overcome this, I stayed with her until we agreed what the fear actually was, and her thought pattern imagining the worst of what that fear was doing to her. Recognizing the fear helped her overcome. Agoraphobia does not have to be a life sentence, although it may feel that way to someone who is suffering from it. It does take commitment and hard work to overcome, but it’s worth it.

So it's day by day that Julie and I are taking; like stepping stones. She is so much stronger than before. I am proud of my twin sis. She is courageous!