View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Migraines post-concussion - January 3rd 2021, 08:25 PM

I sustained a concussion a couple of weeks ago. Immediately after the concussion I experienced severe head pain for a couple of days, but it subsided until last Sunday, and then I started experiencing migraines daily. I had issues with migraines last year, and the doctor I saw about the concussion explained that being already prone to migraines increases your likelihood of experiencing them after a head injury. So, lucky me.

Originally the doctor prescribed Imitrex (Sumatriptan). I don't like how flushed it makes me feel after taking it but it does work- for a few hours. Then the migraine is right back, full force. I informed him of this on Friday and he prescribed Floricet (Butalbital/Acetaminophen/Caffeine). In the last 24 hours is the first time I have taken both. The headache is maybe a little better but I am still experiencing pain.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it unreasonable to expect no pain after taking these medications? Is there something I can do to make it easier on myself? Post-concussive syndrome can last for weeks or months, up to even a little over a year, in the most severe cases. I am hoping that's not the case for me; I really don't want to experience daily migraines for a prolonged period of time. They're quite debilitating. So does anyone have any suggestions?