View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,543, Level: 59 Points: 172,543, Level: 59 Points: 172,543, Level: 59

Re: Migraines post-concussion - January 4th 2021, 06:03 PM

Ugh, migraines are miserable. I haven’t had a head injury but I have had migraines!

Honestly the pain thing depends on the person. It may take a while to adjust to a new medication or that medication might not be right for you. There’s a ton of trial and error with migraine meds. Honestly it reminds me a lot of mental health meds where sometimes you have to play around. For example, I was prescribed Topamax for mine and not only did I still have a migraine, but I was asleep for 17 hours on some days. Needless to say that didn’t work! But for others that medication is a godsend.

I’d also watch for rebound headaches. Did your doctor tell you how many days in a row you’re able to take an abortive and/or an over the counter painkiller? Taking them too often can cause rebound headaches where you get headaches from taking the medication too much. I’d ask your doctor.

Some people find heat to help. One of my friends said to take a super hot shower. For me, heat is a no go with migraines so I have an ice pack hat that covers my neck and forehead. Before I got that I just had an ice pack on my neck.

I also honestly have to rest a lot. I get angry and moody with mine so sleep is good so I don’t blow up on anyone LOL.

There are migraine support groups on FB if you’re interested. There’s people with all types of severities and causes so maybe you’ll get a ton of suggestions!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive