Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: Tommy

Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8

Re: What's your dinner tonight? - March 26th 2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglow. View Post
Your meals sound very yummy! Thanks for sharing the links too!

My dinner tonight was a lamb rogan josh curry with rice and corriander naan bread. It was very good! I don't have the recipe to share though as my mum does things the old fashioned ways and has a stack of diabetic friendly physical cook books
My late mum was diabetic, too. She also lived in India with my aunty Lyra up in the north of India where Rogan Josh is a family staple because lamb was very cheap. Mum used lamb shoulder because the meat's taste was incredible. They used to have goat curry, but since you're a lover of goats it would be inappropriate to give you our recipe.

The best Rogan Josh that comes closest to authentic Indian curry is published by Rick Stein, called Rick Stein's India. This is the recipe though be warned it's hot. https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/lamb-rogan-josh

The guy uses Kashmiri chilli powder, 2 heaped tablespoons. But it's very very good!

When we make ours, rice is never eaten, but bread. It would be easy making non-yeast bread to imitate naan, unless you order a takeaway naan from your local Indian takeout as it's lots easier, but making naan like chapatis is easy (once you know how ) But good brown bread is what we use to mop up the juices. And we also use 2 tablespoons, and they aren't level, but heaped just like Stein's.

Make your own Garam Masala. The shop-bought isn't great. Making your own is lots cheaper and its ingredients don't vary much online. My late aunt used to make her own curry spices. In fact when Lyra had to come home to go to the hospice, every day she had to sprinkle chilli flakes over her food. Brit food was just too mild after having lived in India.

I could eat curry every day it's so delicious. I'm relieved Ted loves a good curry. As soon as he's able, I'll chain him to the stove!

Joking of course. I'll be there instead.