View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: Tommy

Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8

Re: Easter baking ideas - April 1st 2021, 12:30 PM

In Elizabeth David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery is her sweet spice mixture recipe. Note that before use, it's ground down into a fine powder.

1 level teaspoon black peppercorns*
1 level teaspoon whole cloves
2 teaspoons coriander seed
half level teaspoon green cardamom seeds (removed from shell)
half a grated fresh nutmeg
half inch of cinnamon stick
one quarter level teaspoon dried powdered ginger

* Elizabeth David states the black pepper helps set, or marry the spice mixture. It's true. Adding black pepper brings the spice flavours together. I never knew the importance of adding pepper. You won't notice any peppery taste, but you will definitely love this pronounced sweet spice mix because it's delightfully pungent in either her Hot Cross Buns or Chelsea Buns recipes. (Links below)

Tip. When preparing the dried fruit in the bowl, be it mixed peel and/or currants, sprinkle 2 teaspoons of her sweet spice mixture into the fruit and mix thoroughly. When you come to roll out the dough, after painting melted butter over the dough, then liberally sprinkle the spiced fruit before rolling the dough to resemble a slim Swiss Roll. Make smaller Chelsea buns instead of larger. Allowing space between each circle, once in the oven the yeasty dough will expand, making that square shape that Chelsea buns are reknowned for.

'16' Hot Cross Buns are never enough because people, or us, will be eating lots. This is why in my family I double the ingredients.

Recipe links:
Elizabeth David’s Sugary, Spicy, Sticky and Square Chelsea Buns

Easter, Hot Cross Buns & British Superstition (recipe).