View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: TW for family diseases: Should I talk to my family about this? - April 4th 2021, 05:15 AM

Hi Gris,

Thank you for reaching out to us on TeenHelp. I'm sorry that you had to find out about your father's condition in this manner. I think the others have given some really good ideas and advice; I'll just share my two cents as well.

First of all, I think you're a very caring daughter. Naturally, you want him to live a healthy, fulfilling life. Thus, you're justified to feel indignant or upset about what has happened.

However, like some others have mentioned, your parents perhaps aren't intentionally hiding it from you. Seeing that the report was very new, perhaps they were also coming to terms with the diagnosis. It must be as shocking for them as it is for you.

That being said, since you've found out about it incidentally, I'd think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring it up to your parents. It's absolutely natural for you to be feeling this way - torn between concern towards your father's health and not being able to talk about it. I'm usually of the opinion that it's best to speak up when something is bothering you, and I would suggest the same here. The whole situation is no doubt overwhelming, but it speaking up about it with your parents might lessen the load and ease your mind. After all, you are expressing your concern, and your parents might appreciate that.

It's been a few days since your original post; I hope you are doing well and that things are better now. Feel free to PM any of us if you'd like to chat about anything!

~ Seize each day and live it like your last ~

HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.