(#5 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Phone anxiety - April 16th 2021, 11:23 AM

I've always had huge phone anxiety to the point where calling in genuinely sick to work used to trigger a full on crying panic attack. I used to have to really build myself up to making calls and most of the time I'd put it off. I had a similar subscription experience where I wasn't using a service I'd signed up to anymore, and despite knowing theonly way to cancel was to make a call, I just cancelled the direct debit online with my bank. I ended up with warning letters and had to pay extra when I did eventually call them because technically it was a small debt by then.

The only thing that's helped me is having no choice but to make calls. At my current job I'm making and answering calls all day. I don't find scripts helpful because if the other person deviates from the script I get flustered. When I'm at work it's almost like acting though. I'm not really me, I'm employed to be this other person who is okay making calls, so I can just do them. Outside of work, although some of the times I am better than I used to be, I still get really anxious making or answering calls, and I never answer a call from a number I don't know. And sometimes I don't answer calls to numbers I do know. It's definitely an anxiety I'm still working on.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff