Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,702, Level: 33 Points: 55,702, Level: 33 Points: 55,702, Level: 33

Re: Needle phobia - June 12th 2021, 08:20 PM

Hollie,
I suggest you focus on the positive effects of getting your vaccination. Instead of imagining the process, concentrate on why exactly you want to get the jab and what you will gain. You will be immune to the virus, you will be safer in large groups of people, you will contribute to overcoming the pandemic, you will be able to travel... keep in mind whatever is the most important to you.

As for the process itself, reserve enough time to get to the place where you're getting the vaccine so that you don't worry about being late/not having space to park etc. Eat something beforehand, come well-rested (if possible) and bring a bottle of water with you. If you often feel dizzy during such procedures, could you ask the nurse to let you lay down on a couch in the treatment room? They often allow this during blood drawing, and I don't think that should be a problem during vaccination if you feel like it. I always look away from the needle and it works - instead focus on something like a painting on the wall or on what's going on outside the window. Try breathing exercises.

You could also ask a friend or family member to keep you company. You'd feel safer and they could engage you in a conversation
I've had two doses of the vaccine already. The needle is not big and the jab is unpleasant rather than painful. It's really quick. The nurses vaccinate so many patients daily, you just come and go in a matter of two minutes. You should wait about a quarter after the vaccination before leaving.
I hope I helped a bit. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. Let us know how it goes!
xoxo S

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.