Thread: Boarding pets
View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: Boarding pets - July 7th 2021, 02:16 AM

Is it possible to get a friend or hire a pet sitter?

When I had piggies or other rodents, we would usually have a pet sitter give them fresh veggies/fruit, replenish hay/food/water twice a day. We would have them dump out the bedding every 3 days rather than having them spot clean. It wasn't cheap but we had several other pets that were being cared for as well and they would stay overnight. We did board our dogs a few times but found that it worked better to have them at our house so they didn't learn any bad habits. I did look into boarding the small critters but never found one I was comfortable with. My parents always had me write out detailed instructions and left everything labeled and out to make things easier. This included basic instructions on how to use appliances and how to arm/disarm the security system and how to unlock the door. Our pet sitter was reference checked before hand and we had cameras and a security system outside and in the main living areas that were disclosed ahead of time. There was no cameras in the bathrooms/bedrooms and we showed them where the cameras were. We occasionally checked on the animals when we knew the petsitter was not there because we would get an alert when the door was locked/unlocked but would never watch the cameras when the petsitter was there!

Otherwise, an exotic vet or some boarding places may take guinea pigs? I would recommend reading the reviews and visiting the place before hand. Also, try to do a trial run before hand to see how it goes before your vacation.