View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Exercise likes/dislikes - August 24th 2021, 11:24 PM

Whenever I'm in a consultation with a new client, I always ask this question. I find a lot of people tend to gravitate away from cardiovascular exercise because they get out of breath quickly, or others find it boring (myself included). Most, if not all of my clients, prefer wanting to learn how to perform free weights exercises safely and effectively, as well as learn how the fixed-pin resistance equipment works.

When I probe deeper and see what specific exercises they like/dislike, it generally comes down to dislike for high-impact cardio, or continuous cardio on a bike or treadmill because you're just moving on the spot and there's nothing really fun to look at (unless you're in a gym with those fancy screens). Some dislike exercises for health-related reasons, such as squats due to the effect it can have on the knee joint. Whereas others dislike exercises like weightlifting because of misconceptions that lifting weights will make a woman bulky.

In terms of specific exercises, I really disliked split squats (before I buggered up my knees) because of how difficult they are. I already dislike leg exercises because they're just not fun. I disliked using the climbmill/stairmaster because I hated constantly being out of breath and after a heavy leg session, it really killed me. since I'm unable to really go up steps without my knees clicking to death, I can't use that piece of equipment anymore and I've actually come to dislike it.

Do you have any exercise likes/dislikes? If so, why?