Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Advice for Neurotypical Partners - September 6th 2021, 03:07 PM

Hey everyone,
I am neurotypical but my long-time partner is neurodiverse (ADHD diagnosis since childhood, "forgot" about it, re-diagnosed last year).

Basically, just wanted to start a thread for advice for those of us with partners who are neurodiverse - are there things that work well for you in your relationships? Do you need things phrased in certain ways? etc.

For example, if you are someone that struggles with time blindness, what do you find works for you - either that you implement yourself or that your partner does to help. What do you find helps you have those tough, emotional conversations if you struggle with RSD or emotional regulation?

I'll start - my partner is terrible with time when it comes to anything other than his own work. I started a shared google calendar with him pretty early into the relationship to ensure that he always had all the information he needed to try and remember and/or get there on time (or not hours late, lol). We also take separate cars when something is important because I get incredibly anxious being late (which by my personal standards is being 10 minutes early) and will typically want to leave earlier than him and trying to make him leave anything is always another whole thing (he will then stand and talk to people by the door for another half hour, for example).

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor