(#7 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,864, Level: 34 Points: 57,864, Level: 34 Points: 57,864, Level: 34

Re: When you were young... - December 10th 2021, 09:52 AM

I wasn't very big on using social websites.

I joined Stardoll and Habbo Hotel because people at school told me to (well, they created an account for me). Someone else got me into Club Penguin. I didn't really bother so much because my internet/computer speed used to be so bad it would crash constantly and everything was in slow motion when the websites got busy. I did like the creative aspects of the websites though, like designing your character and environment. Years later when I was probably a bit too old for Stardoll, I actually became really popular on there because of a Stardoll game where I was one of the top players.

I also realised I was becoming popular they had started to monetise everything whereas I was on the website before that so I had more stuff which looked impressive. I had a similar experience on OurWorld too, which I loved since I could have a 'pet' fox and make myself look like a glowing angel. But I never made any friends on either website though. I'd add people, others would add me, we would talk for a bit, but I'd get anxious talking to people (even online) and then either I would end the conversation or it would just come to an end naturally and I didn't make an effort to pick up.

I didn't really have friends when I was in high school so I never joined MySpace or Bebo because I was worried I would get bullied. That's why I never really went on Habbo Hotel much either since the people who set me up on that would probably have done it hoping to get a laugh out of setting me up with people to talk to.

I did join a Harry Potter forum years ago, and I remember I was really anxious talking to people on there, so I never made friends there either. I've joined other forums similar to TeenHelp but I often left and literally only used the forums to get advice as opposed to making friends.

I did join YouTube before it became really popular and kind of made a friend there. More of an acquaintance really though since we never got close and we naturally fell out of touch. I used to make videos of the sims and upload them too

I do miss being on these sites since I really liked being able to create and personalise an online space. I just never really got the hang of making friends online. Which is weird since I prefer communicating in writing, so you'd think it would be easier for me I made a conscious decision to wean myself off such sites when I felt I was getting too old or spending too much time on them. Which is sad really. But also, it's less fun these days when so many things are monetised and you are now encouraged to spend money to get better stuff in the virtual world...something I really disagree with

Thanks for the interesting thread!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer