View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 8th 2022, 12:35 AM

I'd consider myself left of center when it comes to abortion, but I used to be VERY pro-life. That was my whole shtick when I was younger because I was brainwashed by my religious mom and Catholic schools. A lot of my early TH posts on politics are absolutely insane because this was the only issue I cared about. My teachers in middle school and high school basically gave the impression that if Roe v. Wade was reversed, all of society's problems would be solved.

Now the dog has caught the car, and its pretty clear that overturning Roe v. Wade opens a huge can of worms. What does a state do if they ban abortion? I don't know if they ever gave THAT part much thought. I was under the impression that the clinics would be shut down and that would be it (still bad). However, Louisiana currently has a bill that would classify abortion as homicide. A Texas state representative filed a bill last year that would do the same, and in Texas, homicide is punishable with the death penalty. Very pro-life indeed. Some of these people are completely psychotic.

My only issue with Roe v. Wade is that it gives states the right to regulate abortion after the first trimester. I don't think it makes any sense from either side of the issue- if the right to abortion or the rights of a fetus are human rights, then that should not be left up to the states. There should just be one line that says where abortion is or isnt ok, with possible exceptions later on. That's my only issue with Roe v. Wade, but I'd definitely keep it if the alternative is allowing red states to punish women and teenage girls with prison and death.

And buckle up. The language of Alito's ruling leaves the door open to strike down basically any cases that weren't explicitly written into the constitution. This could include anything the conservative justices don't like- gay marriage, public schools, birth control, etc. I dont know if they'll ACTUALLY go that far, but I never thought they'd do this either.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1378611 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!