View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
fatherwhoneedshelp Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1

Re: Need advice on 18 yo - September 11th 2022, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I was raised by my great grandmother and reflecting back I don't think there would have been much she could have said or done to stop me from doing what I was doing. I do remember a time when I reached out for help and unfortunately granny was in a rest home by then and the rest of my family was too angry with me for my actions to want to help, so my learnings had to take their course with great expense. I do wish at that time the help would have been there because I really needed it.

With that being said, I will always be here for him no matter what happens but I so much want to stop him from going down that road. I fear that I am going to have to let go and let him make his mistakes and be there to help him up if needed. He says he doesn't need help but I beg to differ.

We did have a discussion after he woke up today.. he, my wife & I and I pretty much laid out that we operate a clean house and if he wanted to be treated like an adult he has to act like an adult and if he felt the rules of this house are not to his expectations to hand over the keys to his car, pack his backpack and call a friend to come pick him up. Told him if and when when he realizes his life here is sooo much better than the alternative we will be waiting with open arms.

I am struggling with talking to or not talking to his friends parents. Both his GF & best friend are minors and that concerns me for many reasons. One being that he is now an adult contributing and the second I feel like we are betraying their trust which doesn't make me feel very good. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks.

Last edited by fatherwhoneedshelp; September 11th 2022 at 07:39 PM.