(#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,726, Level: 39 Points: 74,726, Level: 39 Points: 74,726, Level: 39

Re: Non-binary struggles :( - November 13th 2022, 06:21 PM

I don't think you're being too sensitive at all. A cis man or woman wouldn't appreciate being misgendered, and neither do you. There's nothing wrong with asking people to respect what makes you feel you and I don't think anybody should worry about being annoying by reminding people what they prefer to be called. The way you feel, in both your gender identity and your response to being misgendered, is valid. You deserve to be able to be yourself and I am so sorry that there are people making that difficult for you.

Sometimes people, especially parents or people from other generations, don't understand, or want to understand some things that people today are experiencing. Do you feel like you could ask your parents to sit down and talk about being non-binary? Perhaps you could give them an opportunity to ask questions so that you can help them understand more of what you are going through. Some of the things you have mentioned (e.g. the nail polish situation) sound like they could just be misconceptions, which over time your parents may learn more about. That being said, it can be tiring to have to constantly be the expert, so don't be afraid to signpost people to other resources where they can learn about it themselves. Here is a really good resource, and people can search 'non-binary' and read up on anything they like: https://pflag.org/

I hope that you know you will always be accepted here for exactly who you are. I know it is exhausting to have to constantly correct people and educate people, so please don't feel annoying or over sensitive. Your feelings matter.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.