View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,876, Level: 33 Points: 55,876, Level: 33 Points: 55,876, Level: 33

Re: What are you looking forward to over Christmas? - December 19th 2022, 01:36 PM

Hi Lu,
I'm so sorry to hear that you've had such rough Christmas for a couple of years now. It's a very special time of year and it must've been hard to see all the 'joy' around you (TV ads, decorations, lights, shopping spree, Christmas music...) while your situation did not allow for a cheerful celebration.
If I were you, I would acknowledge your feelings. Yes, your family is ill, and you have a sprained foot - this is very unfortunate. Last Christmas you were hit by the coronavirus. Two years ago you went through a house fire. All of these are terrible experiences, especially during Christmas time, and you have every right to feel annoyed, angry, sad, or even furious and distraught.
While acknowledging all your feelings and making space for them, you could try - as you said - to look for the bright parts of this year's Christmas. It could be your children's reaction to their gifts, good food, warmth, the presence of the people closest to you, even very small things that you like (crisp air outside? the vanilla scent of a candle? a decorated tree? a morning coffee? a bath with a gingerbread bath bomb?).

I am looking to spending time with my family, which is a very chaotic family, with small kids and lots of pets. Sometimes they annoy me a lot and I don't want to spend time with them, I just wish to have space for myself to work or study. Still, I rarely see everyone gathered together, and even with children running around, all the noises and music and chaos I am very much looking forward to spending time with them. I prepared a special handmade gift for my Dad and I can't wait to see his reaction.

Even if your Christmas isn't perfect, I hope you will be able to find joy in what you have. I wish you a peaceful time spent both with your family and with yourself.
Take care!
xx S

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM