View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Project Coordinator

I can't get enough

Name: Haley
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 43,682, Level: 30 Points: 43,682, Level: 30 Points: 43,682, Level: 30

Re: Mood Dips and Anxiety increases during the weekend - February 3rd 2024, 05:36 PM

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing mood dips and increased anxiety during the weekends. While weekends can often be a welcome break from the usual weekday routine, it can be helpful to maintain some level of structure and routine. Perhaps you could identify one or two activities that you genuinely enjoy and plan a simple routine around these activities so you have enough to keep yourself engaged.

Perhaps you could also consider making a timetable. Creating a schedule helps to compartmentalise chores so you know what you need to do at a given time without thinking about it, a bit like being on autopilot. This kind of structured approach also reduces the need for constant decision-making, which in turn can help to reduce mental fatigue. You could also try adding a mindfulness activity, such as deep breathing, before starting an errand or leisure activity to make it easier to switch gears; this can help to create a clear distinction and mental shift between each activity. Is there anyone at the intensive outpatient program who could help you to create a weekend plan?

One strategy that I find helpful is adding a small task to an already established habit to make it easier to integrate new tasks into my daily routine. I believe it's called 'habit stacking'. I've found this useful when trying to add more self-care into my routine, something as simple as remembering to moisturise, but you can use this technique for anything.

Body doubling sounds like a good idea. Having someone present, whether physically or virtually, can help with focus and motivation. Remember that motivation can fluctuate a lot so start small and focus on progress rather than perfection. It might take some time to discover what method works best for you, so be kind to yourself along the way.

All the best,
Haley