View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Storks Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Pronouns: she/her

Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1

Question Childhood ending - April 6th 2024, 10:54 PM

Hi. I'm a 19-year-old girl who's graduating from high school real soon. In August I will be moving to another country to attend university.
I have the best home life I could ask for. I love both my parents very much and I'm especially close with my mom. I'm having a hard time coping with the fact that I will have to leave them behind. I will probably never live with them again after this. In four months I will leave and I might never return to live in my hometown. My childhood house that I've lived in since I was barely out of the womb. My bedroom. I'm a terribly sentimental person and I'm just struggling with the emotional side of things quite a bit.
My parents have always supported my decision to study abroad, and they want nothing but the best for me, but still the thought of them becoming empty nesters makes me sad since I'm their only child. Just to make it clear, my parents have NEVER made me feel guilty for this, this is purely something that my stupid anxious brain has made up. Another concern that I have is my grandma. She lives alone as my grandpa passed away 2 years ago. I visit her almost every day. Who will do that once I'm gone?
I'm also incredibly embarrassed because at this age I should be ready for independence and living on my own, but I feel totally unprepared. Adult life seems so hard, I struggle with making decisions that will have a lasting outcome and I fear that I will encounter more and more of those as time goes on.
I know all of this makes it sound like I don't even want to study abroad. I do. It'll open the door to a whole world of new opportunities. I know it's a privilege and I know I should be grateful, and I really am. I just need to find a way to cope with these things and that's really the reason I came here.
I guess all of this ties into a fear of my childhood ending. To all you adults out there - if you have experienced this, how did you deal with it? I'd be grateful for any advice. Thank you for reading.