udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Points: 29,843, Level: 24 Points: 29,843, Level: 24 Points: 29,843, Level: 24

Re: The less-homework revolution? - January 13th 2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia705 View Post
I think it is reasonable to spend like an hour per class per night....and maybe even a little more here and there. But, I can say first hand that children in elementary school are getting entirely too much homework! I remember how I used to be excited in elementary school when I got homework (i'm a bit of a dork, but it was exciting). I would do it as soon as I got home...it made me feel grown-up. I have a 7 year old sister, 2nd grade, and she has an insane amount of homework...I can't even believe it! She even had homework when she was in kindergarten and 1st grade. Every night she comes home with at least 2 homework pages (problems on front and back). While this homework isn't turned in, if they don't do it then they are sure to fall behind. She absolutely hates it, and I don't blame her...she should be running around being a kid. I think that the way the system is right now is just asking for all this kids to get burned out very early on.

Sorry for the rant, I do feel better now.
I'm also appalled on how much the younger kids are getting. My sister is a 7th grader, but I can remember her learning things in 3rd grade that I was now learning for the first time in the 6th grade. It seems that kids are expected to learn MORE now at an even earlier age. Jenna sometimes has homework problems that I can't help her with and I am a math honors student. Her English classes are not stressed enough because everyone has been passing the SOLs (state tests you have to pass for your school to be accredited), while students have been doing bad in math (due to poor teachers in my opinion). Their English is falling behind while their math is being spent most of the time on. There needs to be an even balance of things. More money needs to be spent on things outside of the classroom, like free after school tutoring and websites like Questia.

--A