Thread: evaluations
View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: evaluations - June 2nd 2009, 03:05 PM

Hey Kelly.

Well done on going to get help for your suicidal feelings and your self-harm. It's a really brave thing to do and you should be proud of yourself for being so courageous.

It is natural to be scared about this sort of thing - I know that it can be very daunting to sit and talk about your feelings but it's okay to be nervous, most people are and the doctor will be expecting this. They're usually very nice people and they are trained to deal with this and help you to feel more comfortable. If you don't feel comfortable with saying something, then you can tell them that. Although the doctor can't and won't force you to say anything you don't want to, it is very important that you are as open and honest as possible with them as you can be so that you get the best result from going to your evaluation - so that they can give you the support and help that you need.

When I went for my first, general evaluation, we talked about family background, medical history, self harm (how often, how I do it, how it makes me feel) , suicidal ideation (have I had any thoughts, plans etc.), how I feel in certain situations. We also went through many simple 'yes/no' questions. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - I was so, so, so nervous about going, but honestly - it really wasn't that bad.

Because you are 16, I doubt that your parents would have to go into the room with you. If your parents are invited in, you could ask them to leave and the doctor should respect this. I think that the doctors realise that it's going to be less awkward and you're going to be more honest if you're alone. However, if you do want your parents to go into the room with you, that will also be fine.

Good luck, and try not to worry about it - it's really not as bad as you think!