View Single Post
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: what is so wrong about gay marriage??? - June 6th 2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7x13x View Post
i personally am bisexual and have a girlfriend. i also have an aunt who is gay and was married at one point in time to another woman,it was weird at first but i got used to it,they ended up splitting up.

i've never really viewed marriage as the end product being children. i've always thought you got married to prove to each other and everyone around you how much you love one another and how much you care about the other person. to me marriage says you're willing to give up everything for that person because you care for them and love them so much,not because you want kids,even if you do want kids.

my religion has nothing to do with how i view gay marriage,im pagan for those of you who care/were wondering. we dont really discriminate against anyone except thoe who discriminate against us,and we give them a fair chance first anyways so.

but i kinda like debating and gay marriage happens to be in my top 3 for faav debate topics.

so what in the world is so damn wrong with two people of the same sex getting married???? please tell me,im open to others opinions i swear,as long as your open to mine.
I think one common reason is that gay marriage would be against one's religious beliefs. Some people are lenient enough to allow it whereas others are not so lenient. But there are other reasons, some including cultural beliefs where homosexuality may not be allowed, and those who adhere to their culture and practice it, may also stand by that. Another reason is people who are very conservative adhere to the definition of a marriage consisting of one man and one woman, something a gay marriage violates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadra
According to a 2007 survey,[11] the following is the order of religious preferences in the United States:
  • Christian: (78.4%)
    • Protestant (51.3%)
    • Roman Catholic (23.9%)
    • LDS (1.7%)
    • Jehovah's Witness (0.7%)
    • Orthodox (0.6%)
    • other Christian (0.3%)
  • no religion (16.1%)
  • Jewish (1.7%)
  • Buddhist (0.7%)
  • Muslim (0.6%)
  • Hindu (0.4%)
  • other (1.2%)
This list is very nice if you are concerned about the percentages of the US population for different religions. However, it does not indicate the percentage of the US or of each religion that opposes gay marriage. Christianity teaches to oppose gay marriage but not all Christians do. Your stats would be valid if they are of how many oppose gay marriage, however, they are not. You can guess how many are opposed but that guess would need some evidence for, otherwise I can guess a completely different number.