(#40 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19

Re: what is so wrong about gay marriage??? - June 6th 2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
A) doesn't mention lesbians (its very specific), B) A law onbly for the Jews, they never enforced it outside Judasm, C) specific about some (uncertain of context) act of penile intercourse, aa probably anal sex. Not all gay men who are sexually active have anal.

Taking the word marriage out doesn't cut it. History has shown time after time 'equal but seperate' doesn't work. Not to mention, what about religious gays who want to get married? There are religios sects and denominations that are fine with gays.. look at the Quakers.

Why no gay marriage? Attitudes can take awhile to change, particularly attitudes that have been firmly made in childhood. People don't want to question themselves

Oh, more importantly, its Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Filthy gays....

Secular people who are against gay marriage are only so due to the religios climate they grew up in. There is no good secular reason to make marriage exclusively between man and woman. Just because someone isn't religious doesn't mean a certain religious view point hasnt effected them.

And this 'thrown in your face' nonsense is ridiculas. Everytime I turn on my tv, I get lame ass heterosexuality thrown in my face (I personally find it boring and annoying), straights should return the decency and put up with it. But its nice to hear how people think their right not to see something in a paper they dont want to particularly see out weighs the rights of people for their actual lives.
But taking out and replacing the word marriage isn't making it separate. Religious ceremonies are already separate from the legal side of marriage. I was saying that we take the word marriage out of the legal side for ALL couples. Then it's just equal, no separate. As for gay couples who want a religious ceremony, well then they've got to work to find the church that will let them, we absolutely CANNOT force churches to do anything because that would be infringment on the 1st Amendment. And honestly the ceremony has nothing to do with a marriage, it has nothing to do with getting all the legal benefits that come along with it.

Also as for the "thrown in your face" thing, I wasn't agreeing with my mother. But I do understand to an extent where she is coming from. If we really want this transition to work then there needs to be compromise on both sides. If gay marriages start to become very public and you can't open a paper without seeing one we will just be alienating the other side and we shouldn't want to do that, it will solve nothing.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin