View Single Post
  (#94 (permalink)) Old
ATP787 Offline
Average Joe

Points: 10,911, Level: 15 Points: 10,911, Level: 15 Points: 10,911, Level: 15

Re: what is so wrong about gay marriage??? - June 14th 2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I think that comparing slavery and marriage is kind of a bad example, to be honest. I see your point, but at the same time...I don't. Slavory was 100% wrong. Marriage isn't.
How is it a bad example? In both situations, it was the status quo for years. In both situations, either party is lacking benefits. Slavery is wrong. Denying gays the right to marry is wrong. The situations seem parallel in some ways to me.

My main point was in response to, "
that's how it's been for a very long time."
Quote:
First of all, I'm not a homophobe. A lot of the homosexuals and bi-sexuals that I've known on here for a long period of time are awesome people. Therefore, there are a lot of gay people that I know that are great people. I think that everyone deserves an equal share of the basic rights, which is why I'm saying that I'm against gay marriage, but I can accept it if it comes to the point where gay marriage is legalized in most states.
You say you can accept gay marriage, but only want it legal in a select few states. That's not accepting gay marriage.
Quote:
If you think I'm trying to force my own opinion onto others, then I must be missing something here. That's fine, I guess, but I'm not trying to voice my opinion onto others. I'm just stating my own opinion.
You don't want gay marriage allowed in all 50 states. You're taking your own opinion, which revoles solely around you, and forcing that upon those who want to get married. You specifically said you don't want gay marriage allowed. That's forcing your opinion upon others.
Quote:
I think that homosexuals should be given the chance to do the things they would like to do. I don't think I'm contradicting myself.
Why would you allow gay marriage in a few states, but not all 50? That makes no sense whatsoever. This is yet another reason why I can compare this to slavery. Northern states were free, southern states were slave states. In this situation, some states allow gay marriage, others don't.
Quote:
I'm really rusty with history, lol. Uh...yes, because I grew up in Georgia in 1990. I've been around a variety of people since I was a little boy, so of course I'd go for it (if it's the one where schools were desegregated). Even if I was alive back then, I'd still probably want to desegregate schools.
Here's the reason I ask.

You said that, "
if a gay couple go somewhere else where the majority of people don't accept gay marriage, then THAT might be a problem."

When the Supreme Court ruled in Brown v. Board of education, there were many southern states that completely ignored that ruling. The ruling pissed off the southern states, caused violence, and furthered the debate on segregation.

You said you agreed with that ruling, even though portions of the country had majorities against it. So, what changed here now that gay marriage is unfavorable in certain states?