View Single Post
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: Religion or Science... Why not Both? - June 18th 2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandjay View Post
I am sorry but you said "theories" not "facts"--by doing so, you are still making assumptions.
I'm not sure what your point exactly is. Yes you do make assumptions in science but nowadays, many of them can be in some way quantified, so it's less of blind faith.

Quote:
Anything can be explained using theories. Don't some theorize that the holocaust never happened? What about the city of Atlantis? This just leads back to the question of faith.
Now you've distorted the meaning of what a scientific theory is. When they theorize that the Holocaust never happened, their subjective views come into the mix, the same with the city of Atlantis. They can explain those events, however, a scientific theory must be falsifiable, testable. How are you going to test your theory on the Holocaust? Start another one? Make another city of Atlantis? When they "theorize" about something specific, for it to be a scientific theory, you must have a way to test it. Take the gas chambers, let's say you have some theory about them. How are you going to test it? Make your own and put some animals or humans in there?

Quote:
I chose those examples because I did say "basic assumptions", and there are many writings on the ones I posted.. I didn't just make them up. Would you rather I state assumptions such as "The existence of the Higgs particle"?
I never said you made any of them up. You didn't seem to follow my point though. I said that they are not something we assume with little reason for, which relates to the paragraph you had before that.

Quote:
I'm not referring to precision-testing in particular. To me, it sounds like you're just trying to sound smart but nothing you said disagrees with my views in any way. For that, I cannot figure out your point, other than you just like to try to outsmart people.
I'm aware you weren't referring to precision-testing and it sounds to me like you didn't understand what I said at all. So, to make it simpler for you, yes there are beliefs in science BUT there are few blind faith ones. We have some amount of certainty for the beliefs.

And why does my view have to disagree with yours?