Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: what is so wrong about gay marriage??? - June 18th 2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickguy55 View Post
Your first mistake is assuming that a am conservative because of a view point on one topic. It really doesn't make you look good.

And the part you bolded is not bullsh*t. It disturbs the family and the natural order of things. If kids see gay couples in public and grow to accept it, it disturbs the family. A man and a woman have kids, a man and a man do not. And don't give me that crap about single parents. A single mom has a kid, it still comes from the father, in other words it doesn't disturb the natural order. If this is widely accepted it will weaken the family because it makes the definition of 'family' different, and this country is built on family morals, so therefore it would change the very moral mindset of the country for the worse. Clear enough for you? Are you hanging in there?

And what states? Well lets see, the people in Iowa had laws in place banning gay marriage, and these laws made by THE PEOPLE were over turned by crazy liberals on their supreme court. And California, ONE OF THE MOST LIBERAL STATES IN AMERICA, put it to a vote, and it LOST. And make no mistake about it, it will be overturned in California, therefore ignoring the people. Those facts clear enough for you? You didn't hear these things on MTV, so they must not be true, right? Look it up. Educate yourself.

And who says I'm discriminating anyone? Be as gay as you want. Just stay the hell out of churches, and away from kids, because you have NO right to control those things.
That is discrimination. "You do not have the right" is always discrimination. Either everyone has a right to something, or no one has it. Any attempt to deprive someone of their equality is discrimination, and that's exactly what you're promoting.

So, from what I can tell your two major arguments are as follows:

-Homosexuality is damaging to children and familes
-Homosexuality does not have the favour of the majority in America

I'll argue the second point first, since it's much easier to dispute. You are right; from what I gather homosexuality isn't supported by a majority of Americans. Yet. But if you're appalled by the liberalism on this site, you should realize that this is the tone of our generation. TeenHelp is reasonably representative of our generation, and our generation is the one about to take center stage in the world. More people our age have liberal ideals - morally, if not always politically - than in any generation previous. Soon we all are going to define our culture, and part of that definition will be an emphasis on acceptance and equality despite our differences. Put bluntly, religious bigotry and the people who embrace it are dying out, and good riddance.

As for your assertion that homosexuality destroys family values , I challenge you to back that up with any logical argument. So far you've done nothing but cry about how it's unnatural, which sounds more like a witch-burning mentality than any belonging in the twenty-first century. Whether you admit it or not, your argument against homosexuality is religious. To an atheist, we are incapable of doing anything outside the "natural order", because being ourselves natural anything we do becomes part of that order. Only religion attempts to cling to concepts like absolute right and absolute wrong. The only way you can prove a non-religious argument against homosexuality is by showing how it is harmful to others, not only claiming that it is, and good luck doing that.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.