View Single Post
  (#213 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17

Re: what is so wrong about gay marriage??? - June 20th 2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
This is what I have been saying! As part of equal rights, everybody has the right to believe what they want to believe, which is stated in the first amendment. Therefore, everyone is able to vote for or against whatever the issue may be. Just because you do not agree with the belief of another does not mean you are any more superior than they are. WE ALL HAVE EQUAL RIGHTS. Rights to believe that gays should not be married, and rights to believe that they should be able to be married.
Alright, let me try to understand your logic. If the majority of people believe a certain minority should have certain rights restricted, that is perfectly acceptable. Screw you minority, majority has spoken. Let me offer this similar scenario:

A group of people sincerely believe Christianity should be banned. They think it's a horribly outdated religion and that its insistence on imposing its beliefs into secular law needs to be curbed. They put it to a referendum, and the majority votes in favour. Christians religion will only be allowed within the home and within approved church buildings. Mention of religion in any other place is unlawful.

They have the right to vote for this, yeah? The supporters sincerely believe Christians shouldn't practice their beliefs, and Christians have no right to tell them to vote otherwise. Because that would be violating the rights of the anti-Christian supporters to believe whatever they want to.

I have the right to think Christianity should be banned, I have the right to think whatever I want about Christianity - are you honestly going to argue that I have the right to pass a law about it? I'm guessing you would object to an anti-Christian law, so why should Christians be able to vote to restrict the rights of homosexuals?

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius