View Single Post
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: HoMoSeXuAlItY - The scourge of the earth? - July 14th 2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBL87 View Post
Right, which is why I said it was a religious institution . Didn't say anything about Christian. However, the "step" before it became government regulated was probably when it was regulated by the church. I understand where you are coming from in calling it a social institution, but I would disagree because I imagine that especially in ancient times, it always involved a religious ceremony.
Ah I just figured you meant it was Christian as you were annoyed the government regulated it and America is a predominantly Christian country. My bad.

Well, I think you need to look at the importance of the religious ceremony. For example there may have been a ceremony but that was mainly secoundary to the marriage itself (eg asking the gods to smile on the union by offering something to them). I guess it depends where you put the focus. Some ancient marriages didn't involve a religious ceremony such as Comanche, ancient Greek and Eygyptian (some of the first recorded marriages) cultures, in these cultures marriage was a social institution. There were quite a few ancient cultures which did not have religion as an integral part to marriage.

Last edited by Jack; July 14th 2009 at 05:57 PM.