(#53 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: What is your disability? - August 4th 2009, 08:11 PM

I was born completely blind (I was born premeaturely, I was born only at 22 weeks) I use a screen reader to use the computer, it is a program that takes what is on the screen and reads it aloud. I love using my screen reader and hate how some websites don't follow the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and the UN Convention on The Rights of Persons with disabilities (President Obama just signed this recently) These two pieces of legislation state that websites have to, or should be, accessible to screen readers and other assistive technology such as magnifyers. It's sad to know that when people create sites, they don't think of those that use other ways of viewing it, they think of design and visual stuff before they think of accessibility. (This is just my oppinion based on what I've noticed during my time of browsing the internet) It's not the creator of the websites fault or those that manage it, it's just they don't know that the site isn't fully accessible.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."