View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Strawberrymuffin Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,904, Level: 15 Points: 10,904, Level: 15 Points: 10,904, Level: 15

Career advice?writer, psychologist,doctor?Very confused - September 22nd 2009, 07:31 AM

Hey! I should start applying for colleges this December/November but I'm still very confused about what I wana be. In my A levels, I had sociology, literature and business studies. Sociology is interesting. I love literature and writing. Always wanted to be a writer..probably not the best writer, but its something I always enjoy and find time to do. And I know I can improve it because I wont ever get tired of it. I can always write books on the side, but is there any stable job for this? And I've heard the salaries arent much either, which is what I'm worried about. I dont ever want to have money problems in life. Infact I want to make enough money to set some aside for charities etc. I know, people say you can excel in a field if you enjoy it, but theres no security and very little chance that I will be a great writer like JK rowling.
So other than that I was thinking about child psychology. I love children. And this field also has good income. But I've started to have second thoughts about this. Psychologists know everything about minds..and I dont want it to affect my life outside. Like it makes me feel like they know how to make their minds are perfect-i realise this is a silly concern.
My parents, sister and brother in law are really pushing me to become a doctor. Because there's always job security. The only good thing I can think about this other than great income, is that I will be helping people. But I'm not into science and didnt even have science in O levels or A levels. And if someone tells me stories, it kind of grosses me out. I think people who themselves want to be doctors make good doctors, because its something that requres a lot of effort..and you have to want to do it, to do it. Doctors have long working hours. I want to have time for my creativity.
So any advice? I want to help people and make a lot of money so I can. Or atleast enough for myself. Verrryy confusedd. Thanks.