View Single Post
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: Medication/Anti-Depressants - November 6th 2009, 07:40 AM

I cant give you much personal experience because I was never put on them. I can however give you information from a neurochemical, pharmacological perspective or other physiological perspective as this is some of what I'm studying right now (not only anti-depressants though). As for psychotherapy (i.e. CBT), I can only give you a basic idea of it but others can do much better than I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
The thing is my therapist does CBT, and the whole things seems like a crock of shit to be honest. It seems like they just try to change how I think and tell me that I'm wrong, rather than trying to fix the actual issue.
For any method of psychotherapy to work, you have to be willing to allow it to work. If you don't, then it's not going to be that effective.

You also have to understand that psychotherapy isn't going to work with a snap of the fingers. It's going to take time and some of the time is spent getting to trust the therapist and the treatment method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
So basically...Do you think it would be worth it or not? I know it's a weird question but I'm not sure what to do. "Altering brain chemistry" doesn't sound good to me..
I'll try to put this into a different view for you. You're typing a post or reading this one, assuming there's not many other distractions. One of the things that's occurring is a change in your neurochemistry and neurophysiology. "Altering brain chemistry" occurs every day for every situation you're in. I know we may not think of it in that view but if you think about it, how do you write a post on here? Your fingers move, your muscles contract, you think, etc... . All that requires changes in your neurochemistry.

One of the differences between psychotherapy and psychopharmacology therapy is that for the pills, once you take them it doesn't matter if you aren't too happy, it may work. Note that word "may". You're likely to experience side-effects but all I can say to that is if they're not severe, then there's not much else to do about it because most if not all medications have side-effects. Sometimes some people don't experience them but the medication has them.

I think that you should try it simply because you don't know what you're avoiding. I tend to take the view that if you haven't tried something or don't understand it that much, then don't bang it down.

I'll tell you now though, if you want to do research online or talking to a doctor, therapist or whoever about the medications, that's fine. However, the moment they begin telling you that the medications work only by affecting serotonin (5-HT for short), they're probably making it a simplified view. If a website says it works only be affecting 5-HT, then it's a pile of shit which will be refuted by numerous researchers. For simple purposes though, you can think of it as affecting numerous neurotransmitters, one of which is 5-HT. I'm telling you this because I've seen many websites that are still under the idea that anti-depressants work only through affecting 5-HT and all I can do is shake my head at them.

I'm not going to begin giving a more detailed explanation as it's late, I'm tired, other decent websites hopefully can do it and it may not comfort you in the first place.