View Single Post
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Points: 11,014, Level: 15 Points: 11,014, Level: 15 Points: 11,014, Level: 15

Re: So doctor, is it a boy or a girl? Ah... I don't know? - November 23rd 2009, 07:12 PM

I think our society is too dependent on binaries, and this is what causes this whole problem. Most people cannot imagine raising a child as something other than a biological girl or boy because it seem "unnatural." I find this kind of ironic, however, when a child is born with intersex conditions, undergo surgery, and are labeled with a gender that they very well might not be.
I do not think the parents or the doctors should have the right to change their child's sexual organs. It is up to the child to decide what they want when they are old enough to understand and appreciate the situation.
As a female, I wouldn't be pleased if I was given a penis at birth because I believe that I would still remain a female no matter what kind of sexual organs I have. How is anyone to say that a baby, who is born different genitalia than the norm, is going to feel otherwise about their gender in the future.
I think that society needs to understand that not everything is black and white, there is also a bit of gray in between.