Being a gay teenage guy -
December 26th 2009, 07:58 PM
I'm a writer, one of my films includes a gay teenage guy as one of the supporting characters. I've picked up a couple of really interesting antidotes around here that I've used. I don't want the stereotypical, thus - it's all real stories and feelings from real teenagers dealing with being gay.
Any stories and feelings can really help, got a couple of questions below - but feel free to go beyond the listed:
1. When did you know you were gay?
2. How would you describe your relationship with your parents? Staying within the closet, coming out of the closet to them, etc.
3. For those who hide it by having girlfriends, how would you describe the relationship with these girls?
4. Have you ever had a boyfriend who wanted to stay in the closet and hide your relationship? If so, how did this dynamic work?
5. How would you find out if a guy is gay?
6. How would you flirt with a guy in school? If you didn't want those around you to necessarily notice how would you flirt?
7. What was the most romantic moment, or moment that stands out, to you?
8. Has there ever been awkward moments? What causes them?
9. Any other interesting experiences?
I want to realistically capture the experience of a couple teenage guys who are in love. In the film they're both on the swim team and one of the guy's mother is extremely religious - I found these experiences that I've read about to be so interesting, unique, and real that I had to use it. This film is a testament to teenage life - think a modernized 'Pump up the Volume' (similar to 'The Breakfast Club').