View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: English 11 AP Grief - January 1st 2010, 02:18 AM

Not sure if group study is the best way to get better at AP Lang... I think the best way to get better at reading and writing is, well, doing a lot of reading, and doing a lot of writing.

A good way to get used to more advanced sentence structure is to read lots of texts with good prose style. Things like the New Yorker, New York Times, Washington post... even magazines like Vogue--they are easy to get your hands on and are written by good writers. Also, maybe pick up an essay reader, like THIS and read short prose by good writers. Living like Weasels, Mother Tongue... fun fun.

Also, often it helps me to write something (anything!) right after reading good writing, because sometimes some of the style "sticks" better that way.

I don't think you should drop the class. Honestly, good writing is something that you are going to need so much in college, and in life--that I would just persevere and try your hardest in the class. AP 11 was like, a turning point for me in writing even though my teacher rarely RARELY gave me above a 6 or a 7 on my exams. PM me, ok? I could talk for miles about reading and writing.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)