View Single Post
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19

Re: What's the difference between circumcision and being uncircumcised? - January 1st 2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMom View Post

What about Christians also? My understanding is that it is part of Jewish, Islamic, and Christian religions. It also exists geographically -- ancient Egyptians, in Africa, western Asia, and the Pacific, including Australia. These religious thoughts continue today, to my knowledge.
Actually the New Testament varies from saying circumsicion is downright bad to saying that it is unnecessary. If you're Christian your religion doesn't really want you to circumcise your kids.

Galatians 5:2-6
Quote:
2Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
Philippians 3:2-3
Quote:
2Watch out for those dogs, those men who do evil, those mutilators of the flesh. 3For it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh.
1 Corinthians 7:19
Quote:
Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is (B)the keeping of the commandments of God.
Those are just two such examples. If you put all the quotes to do with circumcision in Christianity together it is seen as unncecesary or just plain bad. Basically nonobservance of circumcision was one of the ways Early Christians differentianted Christianity from Judaims and is not necessary or encouraged for Christians.

Also, I'm not so sure it's widespread in Australia as the Australasian Association of Paediatric Surgeons has this to say on the matter:

Quote:
The Australasian Association of Paediatric Surgeons does not support the routine circumcision of male neonates, infants or children in Australia. It is considered to be inappropriate and unnecessary as a routine to remove the prepuce, based on the current evidence available.
And Royal Australasian College of Physicians in 2009 say:
Quote:
The RACP does not recommend that routine circumcision in infancy be performed.
Apparently only 10-15% of infants are circumcised there.

Last edited by Jack; January 1st 2010 at 03:17 PM.