Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Sex and Religion - January 2nd 2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael. View Post
It doesn't matter what I believe. It matters what it says.
Not quite. You believe that it doesn't matter what you believe. And you believe it matters what the bible says. But that's only true if the bible - and your personal interpretation of it - are correct. And since you don't take the entire bible literally - you use your personal judgement to determine how various passages should be interpreted, and which should be ignored - what makes your opinion any more valid than Sparkles' or anyone else's? She could take your word for it, and she could take mine, but she should decide for herself.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.