View Single Post
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - March 9th 2010, 09:06 PM

Atheism is not a religion because all religions follow certain guidelines or dogma. Every religion from Islam to Christianity to Satanism and Buddhism follow certain precepts and codes no matter their stance on a supernatural being. Atheists have no accepted code of behaviour or worship.

People keep saying "well atheism is a belief, THAT makes it a religion!" well that's simply not true at all. I have a belief in gravity and that my postman will arrive around 11 am tomorrow morning, that doesn't make me a gravitationalist or a postmanitarian. A belief or disbelief in something does not automatically make a religion.

Not to mention that all religions believe in a positive. Eg "This is the way to live" or "This exists" while atheism simply says "I don't believe in the thing you say exist". A, negative, lack of belief in one particular aspect of life is obviously not a religion. The people advocating that religion try to reword the negative disbelief in a deity into a positive believing in the non-existance of a deity.

Similarly all religions make comment about the afterlife. Atheism does not. Atheism does not believe in a God, true and from that you can extrapolate that we think you'll all rot in the ground when you die. But the specific belief of Atheism does not make comment on the afterlife, unlike Christianity or Buddhism which clearly incorporate statements about the afterlife.

Last edited by Jack; March 9th 2010 at 09:13 PM.