(#40 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - March 21st 2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☣ ArcAngel ☣ View Post
Well I see Religion as a Belief system involving things such as Worship, Deities, etc.

Atheists believe in things like the Big Bang theory, and other scientific theories (i.e. Evolution, instead of creationism), but the idea Atheists don't have a deity or anyone to worship, and don't congregate in a spiritual styling (Church, rituals, etc.) makes it, in my opinion, not a religion.
Not all atheists believe in scientific theories but many do, so I'd hardly say that accepting scientific theories is a requirement for atheism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon
Know why I think some Atheists are upset about this? Because they want people to think they are spiritual, and if they don't have any beliefs whatsoever, then they might be cold hearted or unopen the things around them.

Huh? Are you actually serious? It could be the more sensible thing that they do not consider themselves religious and hence would not want to be incorrectly labeled, especially if they are against religion. What does having religious or spiritual beliefs have anything to do with being open? I know many Christians, who by definition are spiritual or religious yet mention the word "evolution" and they are more resistant and closed-up than a brick wall. But that shouldn't happen, now should it?

It may come as a surprise but atheists do have beliefs, they do have morals, they do have ethics and here comes the kicker, they can be spiritual yet atheistic.

Why do I recognize this so much as reverting back to Mosh4Jesus?