View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran
PSY's Avatar
Name: Robin
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Southern California

Posts: 10,137
Blog Entries: 35
Join Date: June 12th 2009

Re: My Family and me - April 8th 2010, 05:03 AM

Hello, Brad. First and foremost, welcome to TeenHelp! =D I am so glad that you decided to visit this forum and ask us for support. No one should have to go through this alone.

I can empathize with you, to a certain degree: my mom took every penny of my child support. Instead of getting a full-time job (she was a teacher, so all she had to do was volunteer for more hours), she settled for 10 hrs/wk and used the $800 my dad sent every month to pay the bills. That money could have gone toward my college fund, or toward clothing, or toward plane tickets so that I could visit my grandparents every now and then. I was so, SO angry with my mother during the five years that I lived with her.

Unfortunately, your options are fairly limited. You could try calling CPS (Child Protective Services), and asking them for assistance. You could argue that your mother is neglecting you, by failing to provide you with basic things such as food and clothing with the money that she is receiving from your father. With their help, you could speak to a judge, and ask that the previous ruling be reversed, allowing you to live with your father instead of your mother.

Chances are, the police won't do anything... but you could report your mother and brother for drug abuse. If they are found guilty, they could be fined, receive some jail time, or be forced to enter a drug rehab program. In the meantime, you could speak to a judge, and argue that it would be in your best interests to live with your father.

If you end up living with your father, then he won't have to pay child support to your mother... which will help solve one of your problems. =) As for your mother's and brother's drug abuse problems, I don't believe you'll be able to do much about it on your own... they'll need to admit that they have a problem, and seek professional help for their addictions.