View Single Post
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
her_beautiful_mistake Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21

Re: General Election Homework - April 13th 2010, 11:29 PM

Tuition fees. They don't need to be scrapped all together, but going above £5,000 a year without a full loan would cut off many people from being able to afford to go, myself and the majority of my friends included. They need to stay the same or a rise of £1,000 a year maximum.

We don't need more University places. Too many people are getting degrees as it is. So the worth of degrees is going down and down and down.
Essential courses like medicine, nursing, radiography, paramedic - the places are calculated so that at the end of the degree we have the number of doctor/nurses/etc we need, not too many and not too little. This is carefully balanced and just won't change.
So what will go up is degrees like maths, history, english, classics, fricking media studies. More places means that a degree is worth less and less. The jobs just aren't there at the end of the degree, and they will be there even less with more University places. People end up doing a degree yet working in a job that does not demand it. Waste of time and money, should have just gone straight into the job market with A Levels (you can get very far in the 3 years you would have spent at Uni). Yes more people want to go. Yes it's getting more competitive. So up your game, do better, make yourself a better applicant. Keep the number of places the same and hopefully a degree will start being worth something again.

NOT increasing University places would also help with the tution fees problem.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; April 13th 2010 at 11:34 PM.