(#288 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19

Re: Abortion??? - May 4th 2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAlive View Post
See that's the thing. I don't know that I believe that if abortion was criminalized worldwide, as many women would still elect to have abortions. While it is legal in many countries, we can never have an accurate statistic as to whether 42 million abortions would still occur if abortion was illegal everywhere.

And I believe that there would be less than 42 million abortions worldwide every year if women faced legal action for having an abortion. That is my point.

EDIT: Sorry for not replying to your post Jack, but as I think this addresses both posts, I figured I'd quote the most recent one.
Yes, I realise that you think that but all the evidence seems to point in the opposite direction. It'd be easier to swallow if I could see some evidence to support your point of view but abortion rates accross the world show very little difference between areas in which it is legal and areas in which it is not. Similarly, at least in the UK, abortion was legalised due to the incredibly high rate at which it was occurring so in our culture it doesn't seem to make much difference as well.

I'm sure that, if I'm going to be a pedant, I would have to agree that there would be less than 42 million abortions worldwide if abortion was illegal. However, I'm also sure that it would be an insignificant drop and would be outweighed by the huge rise in maternal mortality rate and injury.

Time has shown that prohibition does not work in the cases of everything from drugs to alcohol to abortion so I can't see why it would help for abortion.

Although, I'm really just repeating myself at this point.