View Single Post
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
.:BreakingBeautifully:. Online
PM me anytime!

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Should adult children legally be financially responsible for dependent parents? - August 4th 2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Parents can give up their kids, too. No one is forcing them to take care of their kids. No one forced them to have kids. Besides that, there are a lot of parents who don't deserve help from their children(These people also shouldn't have had children in the first place...). So, it should definitely not be mandatory.
I agree. I meant to mention that but forgot. A lot of parents can willingly choose to sign their child disabled or not over to the state and they no longer have to care for them.

My aunt actually did that. My cousin has Autism and a bunch of other issues. My aunt was never the greatest mom and I think it got to be too much for her so she just said 'I am done.' My cousin was 16 at the time I believe. However this decision was a good one because my cousin is in a very nice group home, has a social worker and is pretty much cared for decently.

Of course no one would ask my cousin to provide for her mom later on in life but what if a woman gave up her kid (who was not severly disabled) and years later the kid is asked to take care of the mother. No way is that fair. The child gets 'thrown away' and then is forced to take care of someone they don't have a relationship with, someone who didn't want them. Definitely not right.