View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Teen Girl Suspended For Nose Ring, Says Violates Right of Freedom of Religion - September 17th 2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by México View Post

Sure... if you think that's Christianity than that's your opinion and it's great to know you think that. But it is true they are just looking for an excuse to justify their tattoos and piercings. Plus the Wikipedia link you posted states that "her religious beliefs did not require her to always wear her eyebrow ring." in a case with a Costco woman. Why can't she take it out for school?
I don't see that it is true at all, and you certainly haven't justified your accusation. And muslim girls aren't "required" to wear a hijab in school, yet our laws allow them to. What - other than your personal biases - is the difference?

I think a great deal more than that about Christianity; I was trying to show how ridiculous it is to sum up the beliefs of a group of people with such a disdainful offhand comment. Frankly, it's downright arrogant to presume such a strong statement about a group of people about which you know virtually nothing. Why is it so unimaginable to you that to some people, tattoos and piercings are actually a very meaningful part of their self-image?

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.