Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 4th 2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
I am not really offended about those jokes, because more often than not they come from a harmless place. It's about a caricature and a stereotype, not a malicious attack of an actual person. I make those jokes myself sometimes. I don't really have a problem with it, unless someone really is making a dig at people who cut themselves.
Very true. I mean, I self-harm, but my friends and I have made "Emo" jokes. Like, when something silly goes wrong, we'll jokingly say "Oh, my life is over! I'm gonna go cut myself!" or something, just because the emo stereotype is going WAY overboard without justification for such.

Like, I know someone who was being Emo (though he'd deny it) and started complaining how his life wasn't worth living because his girlfriend of like, 2 or 3 weeks dumped him. Seriously, after that short of time? Pffft, stop whining. THATS the kind of person I'd make a joke out of.

Oh, and the joke thing "I wish my lawn was emo so it'd cut itself" amuses me.

So, I think it really depends on the context. If, for example, my friend made a joke about someone who actually does cut out of pain, I'd be disappointed. But well, we knew someone who would just barely scratch themselves and show it off for attention (he was trying to shock people like Marilyn Manson does), THATS someone who would be a good punchline.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation