View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MisplacedDreamer Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Points: 11,688, Level: 15 Points: 11,688, Level: 15 Points: 11,688, Level: 15

Re: When I was working on Education Homework... - November 19th 2010, 04:04 AM

It's a common misunderstanding regarding public schools. There is no school-led religion, not that there is no religion in schools period. Students can pray as long as it is not disruptive (like standing in front of the classroom and yelling). However, a teacher cannot lead the classroom in prayer. If some students can wear religious symbols such as a cross on a necklace, then the other student can wear a pentagram (necklaces may be banned due to the potential of it being used as a weapon).

So sort of yes and no. If there is not a valid reason for something like a strict dress code that prohibits necklaces due to gang-related activity or there has been severe tension between groups and any display of religious material may incite a riot, then no it is not against someone's rights. However, the tension reason has to have some pretty good evidence and I don't think it's been used for religious cases. However, in my school a teacher was reprimanded for her telling a girl to remove her pentagram because it was satanic. That violated her rights to the first amendmant.

Last edited by MisplacedDreamer; November 19th 2010 at 04:10 AM.