View Single Post
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Points: 15,882, Level: 18 Points: 15,882, Level: 18 Points: 15,882, Level: 18

Re: When should kids learn about puberty and sex? - January 1st 2011, 04:05 PM

We had "The Talk" in fifth grade, and we watched some videos. At the time I'd already had my period (I was an early bloomer), so my mom had already had "The Talk" with me. Then, I switched to a Catholic school where we had sexual education courses every year. Some of them were pretty gruesome. I remember in seventh grade they made us do a project on STDs and we had to post images of them around the class. Honestly, I think they were trying to scare us out of having sex.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it being discussed around 5th/6th grade, but after that, I think it's the parents' duties to fulfill their job as parents and talk to their kids. (Since so few parents do, mine was the minority, and I didn't do anything throughout high school.)

I do think that it is important for parents to start talking to their children young, so they develop a bond with their child. If parents wait until the kids are 13, 14, or older, then by then kids are too into their peer groups. Young children are easier to get through to than older children.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy