(#31 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

Re: Kenneth Tong Promoting Anorexia - January 9th 2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
.... You have absolutely no understanding of eating disorders.
I'll ignore this false assumption. Let's not jump to conclusions. Perhaps I don't know about anorexia. With that being said, I shall continue responding.

Quote:
You can't just have a "phase" of anorexia.
For the third time, someone is manipulating what I said and making it worse than it actually is. C'mon now...I never said that anorexia is just a "phase." I'm aware that it's a mental illness, but what I'm referring to "conscious decision," I mean the beginning point of becoming an anorexic. Unless you can provide evidence that people who suffer with anorexia have anorexia from the moment of birth, then there's a point where a conscious decision is being made. Should you pursue anorexia, or should you pursue help? Anorexia is definitely treatable, so there is other options. Of course, I can't completely argue with you when you haven't really explained why I'm wrong. Where do you get the idea that I said that it's just a "phase," and more importantly, why am I wrong? Then we can actually set a foundation to work on for an argument.

Quote:
Obesity should not and really, is not, promoted (at least in the UK). There are lots of campaigns against obesity.
You need to read my other responses.

Quote:
Most of the food commercials you see are food from fast food restaurants. Because it's a commercial, it's trying to convince you to eat the food. Studies show that fast food is addicting, and arguably more addicting than cocaine or heroine.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/03/30/f...-studies-find/

So the commercial is indirectly telling you to "buy this product because it tastes good and will convince you to buy it again, therefore giving us a profit." You have to keep in mind that it's not always what the commercial says or does, but what the commercial doesn't say. No, commercials don't advocate being overweight, but they DO advocate buying those products that have been proven to be addicting. And if it's addicting, you're more likely to have that food again, thus increasing your calorie intake, and unless you exercise a shitload more, you'll essentially gain weight and therefore become overweight if you continue to gain weight.
Indirectly, food commercials promote obesity.

Quote:
But regardless -- Obesity isn't a mental illness.
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/...full/164/5/708

Quote:
You can understand the promotion of a mental illness?
No, I understand the promotion of making committed decisions, committed decisions in general (that are not illegal). So not just anorexia, but a lot of other things. THIS, in particular, is an opinion and what I believe. I know it contradicts other people's beliefs that we should offer help to everyone regardless of whether they want it or not, so I can't argue here. It's just a matter of opinion.