Thread: Triggering (ED): Kenneth Tong Promoting Anorexia
View Single Post
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 12,309, Level: 16 Points: 12,309, Level: 16 Points: 12,309, Level: 16

Re: Kenneth Tong Promoting Anorexia - January 9th 2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I'm aware that it's a mental illness, but what I'm referring to "conscious decision," I mean the beginning point of becoming an anorexic. Unless you can provide evidence that people who suffer with anorexia have anorexia from the moment of birth, then there's a point where a conscious decision is being made. Should you pursue anorexia, or should you pursue help? Anorexia is definitely treatable, so there is other options.

How can a mental illness be a conscious decision?? You think people 'decide' to develop schizophrenia? or decide to develop an OCD? They do have a choice to get treatment or not but its hardly 100% effective. One of my friends with anorexia has seen psychiatrists, been hospitalised twice and had all sorts of 'treatment plans' yet still is still ill and underweight.
If an anorexic doesn't want help, fine. But if someone is seeking treatment but struggling with it, the twitter thing is really not what they need to listen to. Yes they can choose not to, but they have a mental illness.. so they possibly won't..