(#36 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

Re: Kenneth Tong Promoting Anorexia - January 9th 2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Ie, you believe you can be anorexic for "a period of time" with it not affecting you for the rest of your life. This applies to the vast minority of anorexia suffers, most will have concequences. It's not something you can just get over.
Well, I can understand why you think that. In this circumstance, I wasn't quite clear. I didn't elaborate enough on it. No, I don't think you can just get over anorexia, but like people with cerebral palsy or any other thing that affects their life, there's a difference between suffering with a condition, and controlling a condition. The whole "I have cerebral palsy, cerebral palsy does not have me." Even if you have anorexia, you can take control of your life. You may not ever get over it, but you can certainly take control of it. You may think I'm ignorant, which you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm not as ignorant as you think I am.

Quote:
you cannot recover unless you want to, true, but whether or not you want to recover is often beyond your control.
Which is why sometimes you need to rely on other people. We can't always do things by ourselves but that doesn't make it an excuse that you can't control/change it. The difficulty is irrelevant and at some point you'll realize you have a problem and you either deal with that problem, or you let it control you. I probably won't be responding to these responses much because I feel like a lot of this is just repetition in different words, so as far as "choices" is concerned, I'll only respond if new information is presented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake;557858I know that for people with limited understand/experience it is very hard to grasp, because eating is something that you just [I
do[/i]. It's not like psychosis where there is a clear understanding -- this person is mentally ill. But anorexia is a mental illness. The individual often just genuinely cannot help themselves, why do you think sectioning etc happens? Also when you are so malnourished and underweight there are physical affects that kick in that make it even harder to get better even if you do want to.

As for the link you essentially proved me right? Obesity is not a mental illness. I'm not even sure it's classed as a medical condition yet.
The link says that it should be classified as a medical condition. Just because it's not is a very weak argument. Back then, homosexuality was considered being possessed by the devil. So what? Things change. Obesity is a mental illness too, that's what the link is talking about. It's not just a physical problem, but a psychological problem as well. Just like anorexia! Only anorexia is classified as a mental illness and obesity is not.

Quote:
Food adverts are not responsible for obesity. Obesity is not a mental illness. People who are not mentally ill are perfectly capable of deciding whether or not to eat that hamburger.
Direct quote me on where I explicitly said that advertisements are responsible for obesity. Otherwise, someone is misinterpreting what I'm saying yet again. If you claim to be reading my posts, then be sure you know what you're arguing with because these misinterpretations are getting pretty lame.