View Single Post
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: 90 Pregnant Teens, ONE High School! - January 23rd 2011, 09:40 PM

Aside from the irrationality of blaming TV for the problem (always reminds me of the old question "If it told you to jump off a cliff would you do it?"), there is perhaps a valid point being made about the increasingly sexualised society we live in. Indeed, I recall reading something where they were practically bragging about the fact that we lived in a more sexualised society (and no, it wasn't Playboy ) in terms of the topic of sexual liberation. As life so often demonstrates, however, no action is without consequence and if you have a more sexualised society there is room for this to happen. (Note there is a difference between "sexualised society" and "talking about sex" - the Netherlands has a strong reputation for the latter but also has a strong ethos on family which prevents the former being so strong) Food for thought perhaps.

Other than that and unfortunate statistics for that school, teenage pregnancy is not new and it does surprise me that people seem so shocked when it happens considering the nature of the world we live in. And yes, that show really is awful...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 567935 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!